Saturday, February 2, 2013

Window Screens Pt 1

Yesterday I began working on the window screens. The screws that hold them in place are completely rusted and have stained the aluminum.



First I removed the screen frame from the trailer.





Then I took it apart. The frame is nothing more than some flat pieces of aluminum screwed to a tubular piece of aluminum. The screen is sandwiched in between them.




I took the flat pieces and sanded them with 220 grit sandpaper, then 800 grit, then some #1 steel wool. Then I cut out a new piece of aluminum screen and put everything back together.

 


I discovered a Fastenal store not far from my house and I love it! They have every nut, bolt, or screw you could ever need.

I bought 150 #4x1/4" stainless pan head sheet metal screws for less than $5.


These are the screws I used in the picture of the completed screen above. Being stainless they will never rust like the original ones did.

I then installed the screen on the camper. Here is a quick before & after.

Before
 
After
 
Now I need to get the rest of the camper polished so the screens dont look so out of place!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment