Saturday, January 19, 2013

Fixing Leaks

It's been a while since I've been able to work on the Spartan but I finally got a chance the other day.

It's been raining a lot so I really needed to finish sealing all the leaks. I went around the inside of the camper and caulked all the seams that I had marked when it was raining with Dicor.

The next thing I did was to install some foam weatherstripping all around the back window, it was leaking through the window really bad.

I also needed to make the patch for the roof where the heater vent was.







A few months back I removed the homemade vent stack. They sure weren't stingy with the roofing tar. My original plan was to just put a small circular cap over the round hole but then I realized two things, one, the hole has a lip, and two, the plate is metal, not aluminum.

I decided to go ahead and remove the plate and make a new one out of aluminum.

I cut the new piece out, drilled all of the holes and then riveted it into place. I used Butyl tape around the edges and lots of Dicor inside of that.





I then trimmed the excess butyl tape off.




I'm using Olympic rivets but I dont have a rivet head shaver. I'm going to try my hand with a dremel first. If that doesnt work I'll look at possibly getting one.

Here is the inside of the patch.




It rained three days straight after I installed this and no leaks!

The next thing I did was drill the holes for the window drain tubes.




I will be replacing the hoses soon.

The last thing to do with leaks are the two doors, I have a lot of work to do on the door frames to stop the leaks there. Hopefully I can do that this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete