Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Trailer lights

Yesterday I worked on the trailer lights, they were in really bad shape but I have both original tail lights and three out of the four original KD-540 running lights.






As you can see the bases are completely rusted out. There are reproduction bases for the KD-540 but I cant afford them right now so I decided to make my own.

First I had to find some light sockets that would work, I got these for $2 each.




Then I traced the pattern from the trim piece.



Then I put the cutout up to the side of the camper to locate the holes I needed to drill into it.


Then I rivited the bulb socket to the cutout.


Not as elegant as the reproductions but it works.

Next I screwed the new bases to the camper using stainless screws then attached the lenses.


Once I find some flathead stainless screws I will replace the phillips head ones.

I ran all new trailer wiring to all the lights. I didn't get a chance to finish installing the Bargman no. 2 tail lights but I did get them and the new center license plate stop light wired up.






I also finished up on the tongue. First I sanded it down with a wire wheel.



Then I sprayed it with a rust inhibiting sandable primer.


Then I sprayed it with a high strength enamel gloss black paint.




No comments:

Post a Comment