Friday, April 26, 2013

Almost done paneling

I'm almost done with the paneling. Yesterday I installed almost all of the remaining panels. The only ones left are the four small curved panels in the bedroom.







 

I also installed the panel on the front of the bed.


The cut-out is for the electrical panel, I will build a small door to cover it.

I worked on the framing for the pantry/bathroom wall also.



I still have a little more framing to do before I can put paneling up here.

The serial number plate, usually located on the hinge side of the front door frame was long gone, this is common on these old trailers. In order to get it registered I needed a new serial number plate. The serial number standard  for these year Spartans is (xx xx - xxxx) or (Length Year - Sequence Number). I was able to determine the serial number by a few things. One, I know this is a manor. Manor's are 25' in length. I was able to determine the year by a few clues like taillights, the original door handles, and the original layout. So I had the first half of the serial number (25 47 - xxxx), now I just had to find the sequence number. I finally found it in two places, one was on the street side of the tongue, C 4977 was stamped in it. The other place was on the back side of some of the cabinet drawers, 4977 was written in pencil. I assume this was to not get the drawers mixed up when building them.

So the full serial number is 25 47 - 4977. Now I just needed to make a plate. The plates vary greatly on these, some are nothing more than a small rectangle of aluminum with the number stamped on it, some are more elaborately shaped with the manufacturers name and address written on it. I believe my original one was the second kind. the shape of the original was still imprinted on the door frame so I took a small piece of plexiglass and traced the shape. Then I cut the plexiglass to shape and used it to trace the shape on a piece of aluminum. I then cut the aluminum to shape.


I was able to borrow a numeric punch die set this morning at work.


I will attach it when I get home this afternoon. It may not be all fancy like the original but at least now I can get it registered.

No comments:

Post a Comment